Table of Contents
- 1. Overview
- 2 Cloud Foundry CLI set up and Pivotal cloud foundry trail account creation
- 3.Project Structure
- 4. Creating manifest.yml for Cloud Foundry
- 5.Deploy Angular application in Cloud Foundry
- 6. Conclusion
In this article, we are going to learn how to deploy an Angular application in Cloud Foundry and the required tool set up for deployment.
1.1 Prerequisites to deploy Angular application in Cloud Foundry,
1.Cloud Foundry command-line interface (CF CLI)
2.Cloud Foundry account (Example: Pivotal or SAP cloud foundry…)
We will use the Pivotal cloud foundry trail account in this article.
You can skip section 2 (2.1,2.2) If you have read our article “deploying spring boot application with MySQL database connection in cloud foundry”.
2 Cloud Foundry CLI set up and Pivotal cloud foundry trail account creation
2.1 Cloud Foundry CLI installation steps
1. Download the CF CLI zip file from the link.
2. Unzip the downloaded file and click on the cf_installer file. It will guide our next steps to finish the installation.
3. To test, CF CLI installed or not. Just open the command prompt or terminal and run
cf helpcommand. It will list down all Cloud Foundry related commands.
2.2 Pivotal cloud account creation steps
1. Go to the pivotal cloud foundry signup page.
2. After completing the pivotal account creation, just sign in, it will show different services. In that select pivotal web services.
3. Enter the organization name and click on the finish button. By default, it will create one space with name development.
We have created sample angular project like as in the following image,
4. Creating manifest.yml for Cloud Foundry
Cloud Foundry finds application properties like name, memory, route and more by using
manifest.ymlfile in the root directory of the project.
applications: - name: AngularInCloudFoundry memory: 1G path: dist/AngularInCloudFoundry random-route: false buildpacks: - staticfile_buildpack
Attributes in the manifest file and their use
name: it is used to specify the application name
path: it is used to specify a path for project build
Buildpacks: it is used to specify what type of application, we are deploying.
If you want more information about attributes, go through the link.
5.Deploy Angular application in Cloud Foundry
5.1 Build your angular project using the command,
ng build (for production, use ng build –prod)
When we build the project, Angular CLI will generate the dist folder in our project root directory. The dist folder will have our project build which can deployable in the server.
5.2 open command prompt/terminal and change directory to project root directory
5.3 Every cloud foundry will have an API endpoint. for pivotal Cloud Foundry,
API endpoint: https://api.run.pivotal.io
Connect to API endpoint by entering following command,
cf login -a https://api.run.pivotal.io
5.4 By providing credentials, it will be logged into your pivotal Cloud Foundry.
5.5 Enter command
cf push. It will read the manifest file and deploy our Angular application to Cloud Foundry.
5.6 Login into Cloud Foundry account and open development space and copy route URL which is our application URL.
Route URL: http://angularincloudfoundry.cfapps.io/
Commands execution in CLI will be like as in the following image,
We have explained the angular application deployment process in Cloud Foundry.
Hope 😊 you like it. if you want more information you can through the reference links.
Cloud development is a great way to save time and money. You can deploy your Angular application to the Cloud Foundry platform. This platform provides you with all the tools you need to develop and deploy your app. You can also use it to manage your app’s complexity and scale.